Sunday, October 28, 2012

~ hot or cold drink cozy ~

After I posted yesterday about my crocheting slowing down considerably, I decided to peruse Pinterest to get some inspiration.  I came away with an idea for a drink cozy.  Yeah, I know - there's 50 million of them out there, but I needed something fairly simple to crochet to get my creative juices flowing again.

Here it is flat out:


And here it is on a coffee cup:


And here's the pattern:

Materials:
- approximately 1 oz. worsted weight cotton (I used Peaches & Creme)
- I hook
- one elastic hair band
- one 1 1/4" button
- small amount sz. 10 thread

Size:  2 3/4" x 8 1/4" (not including hair band)

Note:  I crochet tight, so you may need to adjust the size of your crochet hook.

Directions:
Row 1:  Join cotton with a sc around the hair band, sc around the hair band 4 more times.  Ch 1, turn.  (5 sc)

Row 2:  2 sc in 1st sc, sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in last sc.  Ch 1, turn.  (7 sc)

Row 3:  2 sc in 1st sc, sc in next 5 sc,  2 sc in last sc.  Turn.  (9 sc)

Row 4:  (sc, dc) in 1st sc.  *skip next sc, (sc, dc) in next sc.  Repeat from * across.  Turn.

Rows 5 - 29:  Skip 1st dc, (sc, dc) in next sc.  *skip next dc, (sc, dc) in next sc.  Repeat from * across.  Turn.  At end of Row 29, end off.

Weave in all ends.

Sew on button with sz. 10 thread.

***Debi Y's pattern***

When you're finished using your drink cozy - roll it up and put it in your purse.

Print Friendly and PDF

26 comments:

  1. I love it and very clever....I made one not to long ago but your is by far the best! I think I will give this a go myself. Thanks, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very "happy coloured"and easy to make. Most of the time the most simple things are the most useful; this is a wonderful example! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing this little beauty!!!
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy sunday Mrs Debi,this is a great idea ...i will be making it soon,so I can keep one in my car for those rushing mornings....Love the idea....simple and great.....useful.
    Thanks for the idea.:0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need a break ever once in a while. You are always creating the most wonderful things. Sometimes it is nice just to do something small. That's mostly what I do -- one of these days I'm gonna have to actually do something big. Ha! Best wishes to you! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy. A baby blankie would be a good project - it's not too small, but not too big either. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh it's so cute! Love your pattern, as always! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely! Haven't seen one with a button before - maybe I need to make one! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one! I've never seen one before with a hairband :D such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So colorful and summery it looks. Would deff try it soon, thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debi, another beautiful item off your hook. What a brilliant idea to use the button and elastic band!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debi nice colors and I love how you attached a elastic band to it. THank you for the pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! Nice twist away from your usual work and a great way to get your crochet creativity going again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Debi,
    I completely agree with Kathryn, this is a 'Debi approach' to things. Really very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern...very cute!
    Wish you a "happy" Week and send many Greetings,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi, Debi! I stopped by from Aishwaryas blog:) and joined yours!i like this cozy, looks great to brighten up winter. Have a great day! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Hindustanka - I hope you have a great day too. :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you all very much ladies - ya'll are always so kind with your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute! Gonna go make it now! Thanks for the pattern. Have a fantastic day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it!! This is so much easier than the one that I made with a series of buttons for different sizes. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I just love the use of a pony tail holder!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty and a creative idea for the closing, love it!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for linking up your cozy on Monday Funday! I love it because you can roll it up and put it in your purse to take with you or even put it in a drawer and it won't take up much room.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how the stitch looks in those colours, thanks for sharing very handy....
    Daisy j

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message - it always puts a smile on my face. If you have a question - post it here and check back - I will always answer you. :)